Mar 26-Apr 1, '12
Jewish Mindfulness Teacher Training
with Rabbis Sheila Weinberg and Jeff Roth
at Garrison Institute in Garrison, New York
We are delighted to invite you to apply to participate with us in a new initiative of the Institute for Jewish Spirituality cosponsored by the Awakened Heart Project aimed at training the next generation of mindfulness teachers in the Jewish community. Twenty eight individuals (clergy, educators, activists and others) are concluding the first cohort of the Jewish Mindfulness Teacher Training. The response has been overwhelmingly positive and we are eager to begin receiving applicants for the second cohort which will start March 26, 2012.
This program combines retreat practice, guided personal practice, study, reflection, hevruta work, and faculty mentoring. The program will run for 16 months. It will include three retreats for a total of 16 days at Garrison Institute in Garrison, New York.
March 26 – April 1, 2012 (six days)
November 4 – 8, 2012 (four days)
April 29 – May 5, 2013 (six days)
This program is designed for those who have significant experience in retreat and personal mindfulness practice, a strong Jewish background as well as leadership capacities and experience with or deep commitment to social justice. We are open to applications from individuals whose strengths in one area may be greater than in others.
This program is for those who have the facility and the appetite to deepen their own practice as well as the desire and capacity to teach others in a multitude of settings. Please answer all questions on the application. We also ask that you send a letter of support from someone who can personally testify to your potential as a mindfulness teacher (either electronically to esther (at) jewishspirituality (dot) org or to Esther Smigel, IJS, 330 7th Avenue, 19th Floor, New York, NY 10001).
The guiding teachers of this project are Rabbis Sheila Weinberg, Institute for Jewish Spirituality (www.jewishspirituality.org) and Jeff Roth, The Awakened Heart Project (www.awakenedheartproject.org). We welcome your application if you meet the following qualifications and can make the following commitments to the program.
Applications are due January 5, and we will notify you of our decision by January 15, 2012. Please click the “Register Now” button to fill out your application.
Qualifications for Participants:
- Minimum experience of 2 seven day retreats or the equivalent
- Experience in teaching others
Commitment Expected of Participants:
- Sixteen month commitment to participation in the training program
- Maintenance of a daily practice
- Weekly meetings (in person or by phone) with hevruta partner and monthly meeting (by phone) with mentor
- Teaching mindfulness during the sixteen month program, for which you will receive mentorship.
- Availability for three retreats: March 26-April 1; November 4-8, 2012, April 29-May 5, 2013
In the application, you will be asked to answer the following questions. Please feel free to compose your answers in a word processing document and cut and paste them into the application. Please keep responses to 600 words or less each.
- Describe your daily meditation practice as well as your retreat practice.
- Why are you interested in teaching meditation?
- Have you been teaching meditation, and if so what are some of your strengths and your challenges?
- What have been the most powerful sources of inspiration for your practice? List your important teachers.
- How do you relate mindfulness practice and the work of social justice and community building in the Jewish world and beyond?
- What are your greatest challenges in developing your personal practice and becoming a mindfulness teacher?
Cost of participation:
$3700 including retreat fees, tuition, mentoring – (some tuition subsidies available).
Thank you for applying.
For additional information, please contact me at sheila@jewishspirituality.